Wednesday 31 March 2010

Things to do in April

Thank god it's nearly Songkran. I have never actually experienced the festival in Bangkok, as I usually go to Chiang Mai at this time of year, but conventional wisdom has it that Sanam Luang is the place for cultural festivities, Khao San for kerayzee party times. I don't know if protests are planned for the holiday this year?* It seemed to get pretty nasty last year (going from the news - I was in Pai at the time, where people were wearing red and yellow without a thought for the political implications and everyone was too stoned to pay attention to the news), and I hope Bangkok's streets get a good Songkran in 2010. Have fun and stay safe!

*ETA I've just heard that the festival will mostly be happening on Silom now? Keep an eye on the news...

As for the rest of the month, a few ideas:

Culture
The Museum of Siam has an exhibition on Luk Thung music and the culture surrounding it. Looks like fun, and in keeping with the festive spirit! The Museum of Siam (also called the Discovery Museum) is a slick multimedia edutainment type venture, and a very pleasant place to spend a hot day. Very close to Wat Pho and the Tha Tien express boat pier.

I’m going to be featuring night-time walks and activities here through the hot season, and am really excited by the news (which had passed me by until now) that Wat Pho has extended its opening hours into the night. The old buildings, the forts and temples of Old Bangkok are gorgeous at night, and the chance to explore one of the city's oldest temples sans sun/crowds sounds great. I haven't been able to find much news on this apart from a Bangkok Post feature, but will go check it out as soon as I can.

Theatre
!RIGHT NOW! The Alliance Francaise is hosting a week of Thai and French theatre. It started yesterday and is going on till April 3. An intriguing mix of cultural and stylistic influences.
The Alliance Francaise is on Sathorn Tai, walkable from Lumpini metro station.

Art
There should be a new BAM! out soon for art fanciers, so I may do an art post when I've got my hands on a copy. For now: Unhidden, photography by Police Captain Surat Osathanugrah with a focus on everyday objects. The mundane objects I see when walking or riding songtaews often strike me as having a beauty or strangeness of their own, so this will be an interesting one for me.
On till April 24, at Bangkok University Gallery on Rama IV.

And this Friday (April 2) at Attic Studios is the fifth in their successful monthly 'First Friday' events. Lots of art scene people, but it's not pretentious at all, and with heaps of atmosphere and booze and good art. This month the evening will be featuring work by a young photographer, Coco Anantawat, plus a sculpture session with guest teacher Gavin Fifield. Sometimes they have live music, I don't know about this month.
Starts at 7pm. Attic Studios is at 24/1 Sukhumvit soi 31.

No comments:

Post a Comment